Monday 22 July 2013

AMANDA BURTON

Keeping to the theme of HOT ... whilst we bask in this 
glorious U.K. summer heatwave ... I am delighted to be 
be able to feature a sizzlingly hot emerging U.K. talent,
for this week's artist profile:













ARTIST FEATURE:

AMANDA BURTON
 of WIRE MOON
*************************************************************
I was drawn to Amanda's beautiful creations on the internet and 
asked her recently, if she would share her story and designs in
a profile feature. Just like me, I am sure you will also all be utterly 
'wowed' by her unique creative talent and stunning craftsmanship!















Tell us about your background?
I was born and brought up in South East Asia, so my childhood
was spent outdoors playing with and amongst nature.  My work
reflects this time, which still means a lot to me to this day.  

I now live in the North of England where I am working towards a
freelance career as an artist and jeweller.  At the moment, my 
creative work is a part time venture, but I hope for it soon to be
a full time and sustainable career.  I am also a painter, creating
work that reflects my interest in science.  Being a multidisciplinary
artist can be difficult at times, but I try to work with with wire
like I work with paint, making the two practices compliment each
other and being as creative and imaginative as I can be! 




















What inspired you to set up 'Wire Moon'? 
I set up WIRE MOON as a first step in my dream to becoming 
a full time freelance artist. After studying Biochemistry at
University, I realised that my heart was always longing to be
creative and in 2009, I decided to take the plunge.  The internet
is a powerful tool and what started as a small blog like diary has
grown into being my current online portfolio.  I also enjoy the
creative work in maintaining my website too and thrive on the
feeling I get when I can share my work with the world!

 















Do you have any jewellery making training?
I am completely self-taught, both in my painting and wirework.
I took up jewellery making over 10 years ago when I was given
a kit from my sister-in-law.  A small Tupperware box with a few
beads, some ear-wires, headpins and a pair of pliers has now
turned into a major part of my life and my living space!  I have
been concentrating on wire working techniques since 2009 and
since then haven't look back.  I have attended some other courses,
including interior design, ceramics and life drawing, but my
jewellery skills are something that have developed through practice
and passion alone.

 




















What inspires your designs?
I am an earth and nature lover and my work is essentially 
inspired by nature and the escapism it creates for me.  I love
organic shapes and free flowing lines.  Fantasy, myth and
folklore also inspire my work, enjoying Roman, Celtic or
Norse goddesses.  I also love tribal and ethnic designs, seeking
designs from North Africa, Islamic Art and India.

What styles of designs are your favourite?
My passion is creating unique one off pieces and I don't work
to a preplanned pattern or idea.  My pieces are created organically
and take their shape naturally and freely.  I particularly enjoy
free form work where I feel, manipulate and handle the wire
between my fingers.  It is a very tactile method of working and
it takes me to wherever it wants to go.  Sometimes, I may end
up with a mess, but moments of magic can happen!  Repetitive
work does not really appeal to me, so I limit techniques such as
weaving or coiling.  I also like to use natural gemstones, as I 
love the earthy feel and rustic colouring they give to my finished
jewellery.  Up until recently, recycled copper was something that 
I was working with, using my hands to strip back old electrical
cables for the pure copper wire.  However, with the increasing
value of copper as scrap, sourcing this wire has since become more
difficult, especially as I like using very long lengths.

















Do you teach your craft?
I currently teach an informal drop in jewellery session, catering 
for people experiencing mental health issues and have also run 
workshops at International Women's Day.  I plan to start teaching 
and running my own workshops very soon as I am keen to share
some of the more complex techniques used in wire working.  
My teaching career is still in its early stages, although, this year I 
began writing tutorials for Making Jewellery Magazine, and I hope
and plan to develop this further in the near future ...



  
 













How do you promote and sell your work?
The WIRE MOON website is the main focus of my online presence
and I use that as a gallery of all my work.  I have tremendous support
from my fans on FACEBOOK from all over the world, which
continues to humble and astound me.  My jewellery is available
for sale on ETSY.

I also exhibit locally and nationally.  I was lucky enough to be
asked to exhibit in the 'All Wired Up' exhibition in Dorset this
spring where my work was shown next to other wire artists.
I was proud to have been chosen to represent the wire jewellery
community and to be included with some other well known
wire artists in the U.K. My work has also been featured in Vogue
Magazine, where I was asked to be part of the Christmas and
January advertorial: 'Bobby Dazzlers'.

















Have you any advice to pass on to others who are starting out?
PASSION is the biggest and most powerful tool you have!  If you
have this, anything is achievable.  I am a believer that the old
saying: "practice makes perfect" is true, but more importantly,
learn to enjoy your creations and try to embrace your mistakes!

What are your long term plans and aspirations?
My long term goal is to do what I love full time.  I would like to
teach, paint, sell and exhibit my work and continue to design and 
create jewellery for my living!  One of my biggest ambitions is to 
write a jewellery book and one day, I also aspire to be able to exhibit 
internationally.  I would love to be able to continue to learn and 
perfect my skills and carry on evolving on my creative journey!

















THANK YOU, AMANDA,
FOR SHARING YOUR STORY AND WORK WITH US!
I PERSONALLY HAVE NO DOUBT AT ALL THAT YOU WILL 
BE ABLE TO ATTAIN EVERYTHING YOU DESIRE AND I AM 
SURE ALL THE GUILD MEMBERS WILL WHOLEHEARTEDLY
AGREE!







  

6 comments:

  1. Thank you! Very interesting pieces of jewelry :)!
    Have to go to the Wire Moon website and to Facebook now :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this and absolutely stunning designs. I'm a huge lover of copper ....and embracing mistakes and I love afternoons "creating" with offcuts and things that went slightly awry. Very inspiring and a great talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge fan of Amanda's designs - very earthy and interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous wire worker! Thanks for introducing her to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What amazing beautiful work! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, amazing complex designs. I love it and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete